Underdog’s Triumph will be switching it’s training articles to be the 1st and 3rd week of the month. We’re starting up some new educational programs with the local Boone Area Humane Society over this summer and we’re going to use the “time off” to work on developing out these programs. We hope to have these programs finalized soon so we can share them with all of you!
This week is also 4th of July – one of the worst times for lost and traumatized pets. Please especially ensure that during these coming weeks that your dog:
- Is wearing identification on a collar or harness
- This should include their name and your phone number at a minimum
- Has a safe, quite, dim place that they can hide at during the fireworks
- Are secure and supervised whenever they are outside
- Keep ALL fireworks away from dogs:
- This includes both discarded fireworks refuse as well as the lighters used to set them off.
Take a current photo of your pets in case they do get lost you have a recent photo that will look most like them.
I also highly recommend the Canine Lullabies music for dogs. For whimpering puppies, sick or injured dogs, or even just hyperactive pets, it is a life saver. For more information go to www.caninelullabies.com. You can also stream these from Spotify using these links (https://open.spotify.com/album/720unplZaQChtc1bTf2sEe) and (https://open.spotify.com/album/0QXGxWJyMtWqVfSqZtJseH) for free with commercials or without commercials if you already pay for a Spotify account.
This has been used at our sister shelter the TLC Canine Center in Newell, IA and it works great! I have also used this the last few years and while it doesn’t cure their fear it does help dramatically during periods of high stress.
Stay Safe & Happy Holidays!